Thursday, February 7, 2008

boy, am I behind!

I don't seem to keep up with this blog quite as well as I'd like! :( I saw a challenge issued on another blog I read to try to make a new entry for every day in February. Obviously, that makes me now several days behind, since today is already Feb. 7! But I'll jump in right where I am and try to have a new entry each and every day for the rest of the month. How does that sound? :) (Sounds to me like it could get very rambling...).

Anyway, for today's post, I'll just hit a few highlights. Sarah created a tea party for us today, telling me that she was serving "gracious tea." Not sure exactly what "gracious tea" is or where she came up with that, but it sounds lovely, doesn't it? :)

Nelson's work is going well so far--he now has one week under his belt. He doesn't have any idea at this point how long the "temporary" aspect of it will go, but we are grateful that he has it for however long. Of course, we are hoping and praying that it does become permanent, but we're trying to take things one day at a time. :)

Since yesterday was Ash Wednesday, and Lent is now upon us, I thought I'd share this entry on another blog I read. It describes her first experience with Ash Wednesday service and her first Lent. You can read that here http://dsimple.wordpress.com/2008/02/06/ash-wednesday/

I have tried a time or two to do something for Lent, with varying degrees of success. I don't think I got anything spiritual out of it, which defeats the whole purpose. So this year, instead of trying to "give up" something, I'm just going to focus on staying consistent in daily Bible study and prayer. Those are good goals for any time of year, not just Lent! :)

Talk to you tomorrow! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting that you mention the idea of "giving something up for Lent." That's actually something our pastor talked about last night at the Ash Wednesday service. The Isaiah 58 chapter he read to us deals with the fast that God has chosen ... and it's interesting that it's actually a fast "TO" things rather than a fast "FROM" things. I'd never heard it put like that before. Sort of a refocusing of your life to things of greater significance. To be more outward focused rather than inward/self focused.

"Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the thongs of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke? Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover him, and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?" (Isaiah 58:6,)

I think your commitment to regular Bible study/reading and prayer is a very valid "fast" and in keeping with the things I felt I learned last night. Your "fast" is more in line with what I've chosen to do, as well. :-)

By the way, in case you're wondering how I got here, I found your blog through a Google alert I've signed up for that lets me know when someone has linked to my blog. :-)

~Debi