Wednesday, March 12, 2008

thank heaven for little girls

On Sunday of this past weekend, we held my grandmother's memorial service. Although the service itself was a lovely tribute to the woman my grandmother had been, it was still a sad, emotional occasion. We were all very solemn and mournful. But leave to Sarah to keep us from wallowing in grief for too long! Toward the end of the service, a friend of my mother's sang a beautiful rendition of the hymn "How Great Thou Art." When she was finished, Sarah burst out with "That was great!" Everyone heard her, and we all had a good chuckle over it, and the mood was thankfully lightened. :) Good timing, Miss Sarah!

In honor of my grandmother's memory, I thought I would share her recipe for "Sue soda." Now, it might sound strange at first; it's not quite your typical ice cream soda. But I grew up with these, and trust me, they're yummy! :)

Keep in mind, this isn't an exact recipe; amounts are up to you (and the size of glass you're using). Mom had these wonderful old-fashioned ice cream glasses that you would see in malt shoppes that she used. I don't have those, so I just use a regular drinking glass. :)

Ingredients:
Ice cream (any flavor you like--mine and Mom's favorite is coffee ice cream, but I've tried it with several flavors and have yet to find a bad one).
Chocolate syrup
7 Up or Sprite

Basically you are making a 7 Up float (with chocolate syrup thrown in). So just scoop your ice cream into the glass, pour in a squirt of chocolate syrup, and pour 7 Up over the top. It gets very foamy. I usually can get a couple of scoops of ice cream into my glass. Stir a bit, just to get it to the point where you can drink the concoction through a straw. YUM!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still contend that the Sue Soda involved orange soda and vanilla ice cream. Since I'm the oldest, my opinion counts! :D