Friday, November 9, 2007

and now, for something a bit different...

Well, Sarah did fine last night, although she was a bit irritated with me for waking her up! But she roused normally, was coherent, etc. Her wound is looking MUCH better today; in fact, if you didn't know to look for it, I doubt you would notice it. :) So much to our relief, all is well. She even joined me in my workout this morning! Sarah LOVES to help me exercise! :)

Other than that update, I don't really have anecdotes or anything to post today. So I thought I would do something a bit different and just share some "resources" that I have found helpful and would recommend. Check them out; some may be useful for you, some not, but they're all worthy of at least taking a look! :)

1. I know we all get a lot of our news these days online. The Internet contains a wealth of news and information sites! I bet we all have several news sources that we like to read on a regular basis, right? Wouldn't it be easier to have all those resources in one place? Well, you can. Go to http://www.crayon.net/ and create your own newspaper! It's great; it offers all the sections that a "real" newspaper would (U.S. news, world news, politics, etc.), but you choose the sources under each heading. They have lots to choose from as you set up each section, and you can even add your own. But once you've finished, you have all of your favorite news sources at one handy site! Cool!
2. http://www.literaturepage.com/ and http://www.bartleby.com/ Both of these sites enable you to read classic works in their entirety online. I have read Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie books, and there are ton more that I can't wait to read! Yeah, the library will have a lot of the books available here, but probably not all of them, so these are pretty great resources. Happy reading! :)
3. Moving to offline resources now, I am currently reading the book Three Views on the Millennium and Beyond. Craig A. Blaising, Kenneth L. Gentry Jr., and Robert B. Strimple are the contributing writers, and Darrell L. Bock is the general editor. It is part of a series called Counterpoints by Zondervan. It is a really fascinating read. It covers all three major views (premillennial, postmillenial, and amillenial) of the millenium. A leading theologian makes the case for each viewpoint, and then the other two respond with their critiques. Will it change whatever viewpoint you currently hold about the millennium? Probably not; after all, none of the writers convinced the other two! But it is still worth reading, and it gives you a great overview of all three beliefs and the foundation upon which all are built. You can purchase it at http://www.amazon.com/ or http://www.christianbook.com/ if you are interested.
4. Finally, My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult is an incredible read. It is the first novel I have read by Picoult, and she is an amazing writer. You empathize for all of the characters and become so involved in the story. The ending took me completely by surprise, and it is now on my list of all-time favorite reads. I will definitely be looking into other books by this author!

Well, that's probably enough for one day! :) Have fun browsing these if you're interested, and if not, I will try to have something to suit your fancy some other time! Have a great weekend, everyone!!! :)

No comments: